Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Power of Just Shutting Up



A few months back, my friend Michael recommended Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking. Upon reading the title, I wanted to know if this was a mean joke on me: I talk excessively. He assured me it wasn't. Michael wanted me to read this because he felt that as an educator who is increasingly pro-"group collaboration", I needed to stop and think about the introverts in my class and what group work might be doing to them.

I began thinking back to recent professional development sessions in which I had to collaborate with my peers. If you put me in a group with a few of my close friends we work extremely well together. My fellow teachers will share ideas with me and work together to make a cohesive product. They'll ask me to present our idea knowing that I'm willing to do so. 

But what happens when you put me into a group with strangers? If they're all introverts, we do well. I will constantly ask for input and will take the pressure off of the group by offering to present. This is probably due to the fact that quite a few of my friends are introverts. I KNOW to ask.

Yet, if you put me in a group of extroverts, I tend to fade into the background. I'm less willing to offer ideas. I'm quite willing to go along with whatever the group thinks is best even if I feel like I have a better idea. 

Suddenly I began to think back to the introverts I have taught over the years. How many times have I let extroverted students take over a small group or form the tempo of a lesson.

The book offers many antidotes and studies on introverts that made me realize collaborative group work needs to be monitored carefully and students who wish to work independently need the opportunity to do so. Now, before anyone bites my head off, I realize that everyone needs the opportunity to work in small and large groups too. I do see how our work-force and companies are becoming more about collaboration.

This is a great book for both extroverts and introverts alike. You'll learn a lot about introverts and maybe gain more insight into you as an educator and your students.

If you've read the book or have an idea, please reply!

As always,

Overly Enthusiastic Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment